Thursday 23 August 2012

-Music Videos on my Mind- Bobby Womack (feat. Lana Del Rey) “Dayglo Reflection”

As a song, Bobby Womack's collaboration with Lana Del Rey, Dayglo Reflection, has been out for months now, however, my reluctance to report on it has much to do with the rudimentary video made to accompany the track, always hoping that XL Records may allocate a minor percentage of the many billions it's made from selling Adele albums to making a better video for this one.

It seems that's not going to happen. Alas, we have to make do with what is given, albeit it's not that bad, just that such a top song deserves much better.

Bobby Womack hasn't released an album of original songs for over 18 years now, so many had anticipated the release of The Bravest Man in the Universe, hoping it'd be the perfect antidote to the era of crap music we exist in. It turns out people are addicted to crap music nowadays as Womack's album charted at a woeful #181 in the US and a pitiful #49 in dearest old Blighty.

And to think Mr Womack was diagnosed with colon cancer and endured pneumonia during the recording of this album, meaning The Bravest Man in the Universe should not be reduced to just an album title. Whatever you may think of Lana Del Rey, her contribution on Dayglo Reflection is simply wonderful, as is Damon Alban's production work, all three artists sending it to another level of melodic brilliance.

3 comments:

  1. I love this.

    I must admit I am already quite the fan of Miss LdR, but this is so much better. Bobby Womack is awesome..and I think that -once again- you have contributed to my itunes album.

    I feel like I'm missing out on some metaphysical intellectual joke or "inner sight" with the music video. Like I'm supposed to draw meaning from the shapes and usage of line from the the imagery here... My degree in art has failed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post
    is written by him as no one else know such detailed about
    my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!
    My web site ; my blog site

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lana Del Rey, and this is superb. I've heard of Bobby Womack, but this is the first time I've listened to him.

    ReplyDelete