Thursday 5 November 2015

-Music Videos on my Mind- Misty Miller's "Next To You"

Upon hearing British singer-songwriter Misty Miller’s new song Next To You, one is immediately struck by its throwback qualities. Miller is only 21-years-old, but her sound is that of alternative female artists of the mid-nineties like Justine Frischmann and Miki Berenyi; we’re talking Britpop jaunty-guitar playing matched with an off-kilter vocal harmony that was at one time the very definition of popular music. 
How times have changed because Misty Miller is pretty much the antithesis of what kids now consider good music. In an interview with DJ Goldierocks, Miller talked about her struggles with the current state of the UK music industry, saying: “…I didn’t just want to be like another girl with an acoustic guitar, and that’s what my label really wanted to put me in, and the whole folky scene – that whole Laura Marling thing, all that which I was never into and so I did make sure I just wasn’t categorised as that because it’s not what I do.” 
Next To You is simple yet introspective, telling a familiar tale of a young woman and her difficulties with a similar aged feckless bloke, though at least it’s got edge. Sometimes that’s all it takes to stand out from the crowd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment